The Emery Public School was located on part lot 20 of the third concession on Marble Rock Road in the township of
Leeds and the Thousand Islands. The original stone school consisted of a
porch attached to the front of the stone building and a wood shed
to the side of the building.
The land was originally granted
by the Crown to William Emery Sr. in 1799. During the mid 1800’s, the Emery family
gave land on the south side of the road, and a frame school
was built. Some time after 1850 the stone school was built
on the north side of the road, on land also donated by the
Emerys. Over time, additional lots were
severed to accommodate the large Emery family and other newcomers
to the area.
Based on the files from the Brockvllle Land
Registry Office the researcher has assumed that the stone school
building was present prior to 1959. (Click to see Land
Registry files) However, the actual date of the school's erection
and the name of the stone mason who built the school remain
unknown. (Society Research findings of August 1993)
The last teacher at Emery School was Mrs. Marion McKay
in 1959-60. The school closed in June 1960 and the pupils
moved to William Hiscocks school. The building remains today and has been converted to a residence.
Excerpt from Fairgrove Women's Institute's Tweedsmuir History Binder...
During the mid-eighteen hundreds, the Emery family, who lived where the Campbell Clendenning farm now is, gave land for a frame schoool-house to be built on the side of the road opposite of our present site.
After 1850, the present school, built of stone, was erected
on land that was part of the farm now owned by Firman Carpenter.
The old school, we hear, was moved to the Emery farm to become
a pig pen. Mr. Gibson Haig was a pupil in this present school
In 1947, an acre of land was procured from Firman Carpenter
to make the playground large enough for playing games.
Some of the earliest teachers were: Miss Stevens, Miss
LaFrance of Howe Island, and Miss McCammon. These ladies taught
here before 1900.
Early in 1900 came Miss Margaret Haig, who was the sister
of Mrs. Wm. Clarke; Miss LaChance; Miss Chant from Chantry, and
Miss Florence Carpenter, now Mrs. Moore.
Miss Susan Sheppard and Mr. Robert Sheppard are thought
to have been teachers in the old log school across the road.
In the school, we find some of the old registers. The first one is for 1905-6 used by Miss Emma Gray, now Mrs. John
Post of Eldorado. At this time, the registers began in
January and closed in December. Each year a new book was
used. There were 27 pupils in that year. Some of them were
Edith Andress, Almeda Perry, Mildred Heasler, Harold Brown,
Hazel Haig, Ford Haig, Orma Haig, Martin Carpenter and
Mr. Lorne Yule was the teacher in 1906-7 while Miss E.
Gray attended Normal School. She returned for the year 1907-8.
In the fall term of 1908, there were two teachers - Mr. W. D.
Stevens and Miss Blancher. Miss Rita Carpenter taught from
January 1909 until June of that year. She was succeeded by
Miss Katie Sykes who was here until June 1910. Beginners were
Oliver Perry and Teddy Boyle.
In September 1910, the teacher was Miss Mollie Garvin.
Miss Neilson taught from January 1911 until June of that year.
Miss Jennie Hazelton was here for the year 1911-12. Miss H.
Drumm taught the fall term in 1912 to be succeeded by Miss
Gertrude Aiken, who is now Mrs. Firman Carpenter.
Teachers following were Miss Rae Gallagher, Miss Clancy,
Miss Hutcheson, and Mr. Terry Scanlon. Some of the pupils were
Marie Boyle, Donald Shaw and Leonard Perry. Miss Ethel Armstrong,
of Brockville was engaged as teacher in 1914. She is now Mrs.
Clark and is teaching on the staff of the Linklater Public
School in Gananoque. Miss Mason followed the next year, but
became ill and at Easter, Miss Mamie Melville came and stayed
until 1917, when Miss Hazel Haig, a former pupil of this school
became teacher. Miss Haig became Mrs. Homer Shaw and resides in
Perth. When Miss Haig attended Normal in 1918, Miss Sue Thompson
taught here. She became the very well-known Dr. Sue Thompson
and moved to United States. In October of the next year, when
Miss Haig returned, there was a severe Influenza epidemic which
necessitated closing the school for one month.
Mr. J. F.McGuire was Inspector of Public Schools at this
time. Dental inspection was carried out at the school by Dr. Mabee
and Dr. Stedman.
The year 1920, the teacher was Miss Myrtle Weir of Omemee.
She boarded at Mr. Carmen Day's. Miss Agnes Davidson, Miss Edith
Swerdsfigger of Mallorytown, and Miss Anna Munroe, who is presently
teaching in Willowbank School, were the next teachers. From 1929-32, Ella Nuttall, now Mrs. Hilliard Jackson, taught, and she was
followed by Miss Aleta Barrett, now Mrs. Reg Hill, from Christmas
1932-33. Miss Sadie Allen, now teaching on the staff of Prescott
Public School was here from 1933 until 1937. Some of her pupils
were Blanche Shaw, Nobel Andress, Blain Reed, Mabel Andress, Arnold
Carpenter, Eric Clendenning, Ralph Heasler, Keith Compeau, Irene
Carpenter and George Andress.
In 1937, Miss Helen Wright, now Mrs. Gordon Atkinson of
Joyceville, came, staying until 1939. Some of her pupils were
John Nuttall, Mary Carpenter, Hubert Perry, Alice Andress, Margel Reed, Thelma Nuttall and Baden Haird.
Miss Doreen McNeely, now the present teacher Mrs. Wm DeWolfe
began her teaching career here in September 1939. She stayed until
1941, when she went to Brockville to teach Grade 1 in Douglas
Haig School. She was followed by Mrs. Effie Kenedy, who stayed
until June 1943. Miss Alice Lynch from Mallorytown came in the
fall and left in June 1945 to be succeeded by Mrs. Grace King.
Mrs. Edwin Nuttall taught from September 1946 until Christmas when
Mrs. Bernice Greer came, finishing the year. In September, Mrs.
Margaret Landon of Lansdowne came staying until 1948, when Miss
Betty Fodey, now Mrs. Peter McKinnon, of Ottawa, became teacher until
her marriage in 1951. Next came Miss Blythe Abrams from Maple
Grove. She spent four years here, from 1951-55 when she married Mr.
The present teacher Mrs. Doreen Dewolfe returned as teacher
in September 1955. During her sojourn, students from Ottawa Teacher's College did their practice teaching there. There were
inter-school sports activities with Wilstead and Legge's schools as
well as field trips also with these two schools.
(Information compiled by Mrs. D. DeWolfe 1957-58)
Top of Page